May 5, 2022
Hello Middle School Community!
May is here! And with it warmer weather and sunshine! It’s been a long time coming. This month’s update letter includes some information about SBAC testing, end of year events and dates, and summer opportunities.
SBAC and State Testing
During the month of May, EFMS students will participate in SBAC testing and the VT Science Assessment (VTSA). These are given in schools state and nationwide in the spring to see student growth over time.
Here are the assessments at each grade level:
- SBAC ELA testing: Grades 6, 7, 8 (assesses reading and writing)
- Week of May 23
- SBAC Mathematics testing: Grades 6, 7, 8 (assesses mathematics skills and concepts)
- Week of May 16
- VTSA Science testing: Grade 8 only
- Week of May 3
The SBAC and VTSA are done online on a secure testing browser. Some parts of the assessment are computer adaptive. This means questions adjust for students as they answer and get either easier or harder based on what they need.
Though we have scheduled dates for testing in each content area, students who need more time or who are absent will be given the time needed or make-up time. Students will be provided with breaks, snacks, and any required accommodations if they have a specific plan.
The best way parents can help with testing is to encourage students to do their best! The data is used school-wide to determine intervention and reteaching needs and the more accurate the data, the better able we are to give students the skill development they need. You can also help by trying to avoid scheduling appointments or absences from school on testing weeks and encouraging your child to eat a good breakfast at school or at home so they come in well prepared to focus!
Student score reports for SBAC and VTSA are typically sent to families in the summer. The mailing will come with a guide for how to read and understand your child’s results.
End of the Year Important Dates
- May 27 (Friday)- 8th grade trip
- May 30 (Monday)- NO SCHOOL for Memorial Day
- Last student day is still TBD. We will share as soon as it is known.
- 8th grade celebration TBD (based on last student day)
Family Engagement Survey
As part of our Family Engagement work with the district, we would like to hear from you about your family's experience with EFMS. When you get a moment, we would greatly appreciate your feedback on a brief survey. The survey will be accepting responses until May 15. This is completely optional, but your feedback is much appreciated!
Summer Opportunities for Students
EFMS is happy to offer some summer learning options for students.
- Summer Tutoring- We have staff available for most of July to provide students with academic tutoring. This could be to address challenges or maintain skills over the summer months away from school. Please contact the MS office (933-5354) if you would like your child to get some summer tutoring support. Once we know how many people are interested, we can build a tutoring schedule to meet needs.
- EFMS Summer School- summer school is for the week immediately following the end of school. It is only for students who end the school year with an Incomplete in any class, meaning that they haven’t demonstrated an essential learning standard which would be needed to move to the next grade level. If your child is at risk of needing summer school, you will have already received a letter in the mail and will continue to receive communication as we move through May.
Wishing you all a wonderful spring,